FlatCon 2017 Dates Set With A Bigger Venue!
(12/12/16) We have received confirmation of the venue and dates for FlatCon 17! We will convene to "Score A Crit On Cancer" from October 20 to October 22, 2017! And, we are expanding! FlatCon will return to the Interstate Center in Bloomington, Illinois, but we are moving next door to the West Expo building! (For you FlatCon regulars, this is where the Chili Cook Off usually is and wher the "Friday Rap Concert" was this past flatCon.) The West Expo will give FlatCon about 30% more space and some much needed breathing room! The layout gives us some options we are mulling over to improve the FlatCon experience. Even the Concession/Kitchen area is more spacious with a bigger refrigerator. We will be able to add more events to FlatCon while also adding in larger transit space between tables and event areas!
We are very excited about this expansion and we have YOU attendees to thank! FlatCon has experienced significant growth in both pre-registration and total badge purchases in each of the last three years. This positive trend allows us to afford the larger venue and to move in with confidence that we can stay there for some time to come. THANK YOU!
FlatCon 2016 News!
An Epic FlatCon 2016 Is Over
FlatCon 2016 broke records for both pre-registration and total badges sold! We had 218 attendees pre-registered and added 142 more onsite! (That does not count kids 12 and under who attended with a paid adult.) FlatCon has been on a growth trend for 3 years now! Thanks to everyone who made it happen!
- All of our awesome gamers!
- All of the GMS who ran events! (No games, no con!)
- Red Raccoon Games for sponsoring!
- Our volunteers/staff!
- The fantastic assorment of onsite vendors!
- All of the Supporters and companies that donated games for the raffle and Play-to-Win!
- Game companies who make great games we got to play!
We are already having discussions about improvements and making FlatCon even better and BIGGER next year! Stay tuned....
Thank You, Warhorn!
Many thaks to the folks at Warhorn for providing, for free, the con and individual event pre-registration system! If you love games, small cons, or just organized play, consider using them and drop them a donation. Computers and bandwidth ain't free!
A Sampe of What Events We Had At FlatCon 2016!
- Our first Pokemon VGC Tournament!
- Lego Man-O-War!
- Aerodrome 1.1 WWI aerial combat with minis
- The Annual Friday Night Circus Maximus Race
- LARP events from Minds Eye Society
- Warhammer 40K Tournaments
- Pathfinder Society Events
- The newly expanded Game Library
- Play and Win area
- Game demos from Double Exposure
- Costume Contest
- Charity Raffle
- Dozens of Board, Card, and RPG events!
We, also, have a whole bunch of extra special events to check out!
Costume Contest Returned for 2016!
The FlatCon Costume Contest has been a big hit since its debut in 2014 ad FlatCon 2016 was no exception! We had 13 entries including kids, adults, and groups! Attendees voted for the winner which was...
You can see all of the entries on the Costume Contest Page!
FlatCon Announced Its Host Rewards Program in 2016!
FlatCon was happy to announce our Host Rewards Program! It was our way of saying "thank you" to all the brave souls that offer to GM, DM, host, demo, etc. games throughout the show.
Here’s how the program works…
- Attendees who have registered to run/host/demo games by September 9 will receive a ticket for each game they have scheduled.
- FlatCon has assembled a special Host Gift Basket with a variety of gaming accessories for which only hosts will be eligible to win via their tickets.
- Realizing that we have a variety of gamers who attend our con, if the Host Gift Basket doesn’t appeal to you, you can use your tickets for our regular charity raffle.
- The drawing will be held Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. You do not have to be present to win.
But wait, there’s more!
At the beginning of each slot, FlatCon staff will stroll around and distribute additional tickets to the GM/DM/Host of each table. Hosts may redeem this ticket for a "Snackrifice" (a can of soda, bag of chips, or candy) at the concession stand any time during the con or used for our charity raffle.
As always, thanks for your continued support of FlatCon! Without all the great folks who volunteer to run games, we can’t function. You continue to be awesome!
What is FlatCon?
Located on the expansive flatlands that are Central Illinois. FlatCon has been Bloomington-Normal's premiere annual gaming convention since 2000. Running in 2016 from Friday, October 21st through the Sunday the 23th, FlatCon is presented by Gamers For Life and all profits go to support the American Cancer Society through the Gamers For Life Relay for Life team. FlatCon 2015 donated $3,000 to Relay For Life last year! FlatCon's attendees are "Scoring a Crit on Cancer" and doing some serious gaming!
FlatCon is three days of games, fun, and taking a whack at an insidious disease. What's not to like about that?
A Note on This Site's Design
Some have asked why this new FlatCon site is done in a purple pallete color scheme. The primary color of the site is RebeccaPurple in honor of Rebecca Meyer who lost her battle with cancer on June 7, 2014 at 6 years and 11 and one half hours old. Her favorite color was purple and in honor of her short life, the Web Design Standards community decided to name a new color in her honor, RebeccaPurple. As FlatCon and Gamers for Life are dedicated to raising money to fight cancer, it was a no-brainer to adopt RebeccaPurple as the color scheme of our new site and to honor Rebecca Meyer.